Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pomme De terre

Le Pomme de terre
The Potato
The Spud

 And where the hell would we be without this humble staple? 
Heck generations of women have raised whole families on them.  So cheap and yet so versatile.  Today I am going to share with you an age old recipe that Mr G and I have grown up on ( in our respective families) that took me through years of flatting and living on the smell of an  oily rag, through to lazy Sunday nights when we just don't want the mess but feel like something seriously yummy.

In my family it is known as potato pancakes, in Mr G's family called it Mock Fish ( WTF? I have no idea why that family does anything!) and in some fancy dancy places it may be known as a potato rosti.  Either way it is super cheap, super easy and super yummy! You might even have your own version that you have relied on for years.

Here is how I do it:


Take a few potatoes ( depends on how many of you there are) say about 4 big ones.
Big heaped tablespoon of plain flour, maybe a bit more ( scientific huh? )
1 egg
Oil to fry
Salt and Pepper

Peel and Grate the potatoes.
Squeeze the water out of the grated potato flesh ( they get pretty soggy)
Mix in the egg and then the plain flour. Season with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a fry pan.

Drop tablespoons of mixture into the heated oil, now don't have the 
heat up too high but not too low, you do want the potato to crisp up but also
you want the potato to be cooked! Raw potato bluk! 
 
Cook until golden on each side.
Serve up fast!
If you want to be posh you can add some speccie condiment and salad. Yummm.




2 comments:

Bron said...

yum...potatoes are so versatile...I am such a sucker for chips...bad I know. xx

moose and bird said...

I am such a potato girl. Like you said, so cheap and so filling. I will definitely have to try this recipe, it sounds delicious and just a little bit naughty. I hope you have a great week. Melinda :)