Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Big News


I have just made a BIG change. At first I was nervous about it but it soon proved to be to right decision.

I have left my job!

My beloved mental health outreach worker role!

It was my third year in mental health outreach, prior to that was a couple of year in Drug and Alcohol support work.  So I needed a bit of a break before I burnt out.

Next week I will start a short contract with a very small Non Government Organisation (NGO) for 4 months and then who knows!

My last week was lovely but very emotional. Saying goodbye to the amazing people (clients), some of whom i have known for 3 years. Receiving gifts (see the flowers above) from people who can hardly afford bus fare - because they wanted me to "know they cared".  I received very touching cards that I will keep forever and most startling was the heartfelt and very unexpected hug I received from a man I know as most UN demonstrative and withdrawn - not a hugger myself, I really understood what this meant for him to go outside his comfort zone like that.

My colleagues sent me off after a wonderful breakfast out and lovely gifts.  It is a good feeling to leave a job without bitterness, with full closure, people saying I will be missed.  Moving on because the time had come.  It's a good feeling.








6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Morning Miss Prudence...it's been a while...you seem to have made lots of changes and been through a lot, but come out with a pretty positive feeling. An incredibly hard industry to work and do well in for so long. A change in job and environment must feel like a breath of fresh air and a very exciting start on a new adventure. Congrats on your new job!

Cat said...

Wow that is big news but it sounds like the time was right for you. I hope that you enjoy your new job and feel happier inside. I bet this change will be wonderful for you and lead to great things. xx

Bron said...

What exciting news...I found myself smiling as I read this....you are so right, leaving when the time is right with fabulous memories and friendships is so important....how exciting to see where to from here. xxxx

CurlyPops said...

Congratulations on having the courage to take that giant leap!

Catherine said...

Wow! Well done you! A very big and exciting step taken! Enjoy your new adventure! Cx

Just Martha said...

Go you! Stay tuned for the next exciting stage....