Friday, September 17, 2010

Sewing the seeds of my summer fashions

When I married Mr G in 1992 he was in the Army and we moved to Adelaide where I soon found myself spending a lot of time alone. It was then I bought my sewing machine and decided to teach myself to sew and I began my "stash" which grew considerably stronger than my sewing skills!

Back then I cam across this gorgeous cotton fabric, being a devotee of retro looks and a dreamer of 50's and 40's style clothes, I fell in love with it.  I never used it because I was too nervous of wrecking it and wasting such a unusual fabric, one which rarely comes around twice -  so using it was always going to be reserved for something special and a time when I could actually sew.


Fast forward 18 plus years and I am in my second term of sewing classes and finally feel confident to make myself a dress! 




Still not finished as I am not yet confident to sew it "unsupervised" - but here is a sneak peek!

What do you think?

13 comments:

Unknown said...

*LOVE* Definitely worth the wait, you must post a finished pic of you wearing it x

Cat said...

It's absolutely beautiful! I love the pattern you chose:)

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Ditto, when i married a soldier in 1997, i was still at Uni but living out of home for the first time, i bought a sewing machine to keep me company too. Very excited to hand that machine down to our eldest daughter & set it up in her room next year for high school. It's looking amazing!! Love Posie

Karen said...

Oooh I love it! The colour is divine - I am a real red girl too.
Can't wait to see the finished dress.

Deb said...

Oh my Gosh I {heart} that dress. Im a tiny bit jealous. :-D
Hugs
D
x

Liz in Ypsilanti said...

That is a really cute dress! Good for you for using that special fabric!

shine little light* said...

Ohhh that is just gorgeous! Thanks for stopping by my blog! *s*

PaisleyJade said...

That looks amazing!! I really really want to attempt sewing some clothes but am still trying to get the confidence. Well done!!!

Photography said...

It is Fabulous!!! Pretty Fabric :) Nice Style - Can't wait to see a pic of you wearing it out on a date :)

Crochet with Raymond said...

Very nice! Can't wait to see it modelled...
you may need to buy a new pair of shoes to match this lovely dress!
XXX

Unknown said...

Love that material and I think it looks perfect for that style of dress...and of course to go with the dress you'll need a new pair of shoes...a little cardi for those chilly melbourne nights...a new necklace...and perhaps ...
hope you're having a lovely week!

Kate said...

Oooooohhh, I love it!
Gorgeous style and pattern.
I hope you get to finish it and enjoy wearing it soon.

Just Martha said...

Sorry Miss P! Didn't realize i wasn't following you. Now I can settle down and catch up!! Yay!!!...