Saturday, March 14, 2009

Where did I put the last decade?













 



Angus is ten. My baby, my first baby is ten. He took me by the heart a decade ago and together we entered into a new world. Together we travelled emotional summits that at times I thought would we could never scale, but we did. So much joy has been had, so many laughs, happy, treasured moments have been provided by him. My funny, wacky, grumpy, crazy, intense little man is ten.

And here we are. I have been a mother for ten years and he is now living his life in double digits. There is still so much to come, so many "unknown" paths to be trod. So many things I have yet to teach him and I swallow nervously when I contemplate what kind of job I will do. Will I provide him with a sense of security that will give him courage and strength to recover from mistakes, make difficult choices, bounce back from rejections? Will I impress upon him the importance of accepting difference, weakness, fault in himself and others? Will he be able to forgive and move on- one of the hardest things to do in this life. How much of the man to be will I be responsible for and how much of the man can I accept will be, should be independant? There is so much to do with him and if the next ten years disappear like the first, I have better put my skates on!

No comments: